Should I let windows 7 upgrade to win 10

daveywavey

I decided not to. I bought a laptop with windows upgraded to 10 and just didn't get on with it and when i tried to install some of my stuff the activation patches didn't work. I downgraded to 7 and refused the upgrade on all my devices. It's not like i can't install it for free later with or without the microsoft offer. For now i'll stick with 7 but it's just personal choice for me, i don't think 10 is so bad, just a case of getting used to it.

Windows 10 has been superb for me. I am a developer (so consider myself a power user) and have had absolutley no issues apart from activation post a reinstall (I upgraded, then formatted and reinstalled purely as ocd forced me to do a fresh install). MS sorted the issue out promptly in an online chat.

In all fairness the upgrade seemed pretty clean anyway.

Get it done! I love it vs Win 7. Upgraded gf's laptop who hates things changing and she has not complained once.

Linux subsystem coming to win 10 in August :-)

• Like 1

I agree with kccsf although tbh if like me your constantly upgrading your PC its a bit pointless caring about the upgrade or getting it free before the 29th.

I got a free legit upgrade, wiped HDD and had microshaft re-activate as it wouldn't do it itself, no probs though they did help and activate for me.......few months later i upgraded motherboard, CPU, memory, Gfx card and HDD and had to go the "M$toolkit route" as the legit copy i had would no longer work etc. Been on this copy for about a year now (activated via mstoolkit) and had no issues with it at all, its fast, clean and just works for everything i do. I do have the odd issue with runtime broker getting a bit above its station and stopping start menu opening etc but thats a case of force stop in taskman and all good again.

Win 10 all day long for me, once you've stopped all the tracking shite and what not it works like a charm IMHO.

Thanks for the replies guys I have decided to do the up date on a spare machine with win 7 on and see how I get on with it . I understand it can be downgraded back to win 7 if done within 31 days

as for the tracking stuff I've got spybot anti beacon do you think that would do the trick ?

as for the tracking stuff I've got spybot anti beacon  do you think that would  do the trick ?

Should be fine mate. Do yourself a favor though and don't just turn everything off (immunize) otherwise hardly anything belonging to Microshaft and windows will work (the inbuilt windows mail program wont work if you block all of one drives functions for instance). ;)

So used your common sense and figure which ones you want turned off etc. Least you can undo things so remember what you turn off etc just incase you find something doesn't quite work right. I can't advise what to run off as i have both on and off on some for various reasons.

Also each to their own but i like to be in coltrol of my Windows and not the other way round, so remember to create a local account and use that instead of an actual Microshaft one (syncing everything you do with every other device you have etc etc....). You can still do everything you want in a local account as you have in windows 7, unless of course your after turning your PC into a primitive skynet. pmsl.

Re:

Snuffs

Was a bit reluctant to upgrade for a start as had problems initially when I tried to do it. However I finally upgraded and have never looked back. Everything seems to work ok and seems quite fast. One of the reasons was that a lot of the games now are 64 bit so I can now run these without any problems. Must be approx. halfway through Far Cry 4 now and runs quite well. I did have a problem with Start menu as per Snuffs post. I ended up rolling windows back as was not sure how else to get it back. I personally think its as good as windows 7 and I ran that for a long time

well I tried the update from 7 to 10 and it failed  stopped @98%  now the pc wont start windows at all.  I put win 7 seven back on it and it will not update (left it run all day and night ) any ideas why this is happening

Can't really say why its not working tbh mate but i'm a fresh install person and never bother with "upgrades" as they carry over any problems you may have had but never knew about (like KTV for instance, clean install would probably be great). i did do the upgrade route to start with to get a legit key but like i say once you change too many HW components the free key you get wont work anyways as it thinks its another computer. So don't go getting too giddy for a free legit license because like the past 10+ years or so of previous windows its easy to "bypass".

Fresh install all day long with a clean copy of Win10 Pro x64, used M$toolkit 2.6 to sort activation for both windows and office. Like my "borrowed" win 7 before and XP before that i've had no probs using all functions, updates etc etc.