Advice on getting crash damage repaired (1 for das

daveywavey

Had a small prang in a car park at the weekend reversing out of a space and got a dent in the drivers door the paints ok no scraches and the door opens and closes fine and the gap round the door looks even .Anyway  i went to a repairers today to get a quote they say i need a new door @£1500  seems a bit high to me or am i just out of touch with the cost of repairs ? 

What car is it?

If you do need a new door it not just a case of painting and fitting a new door. You need to blend into adjoining panels to match the colour. If your paying for it yourself then ebay is worth a try for a door the same colour. Not guaranteed to match perfectly but saves a lot of time when you don't need to prep and paint the inside, not to mention the saving on the price of the door.

£1500 sounds way too much though. Best to shop around and get other quotes. Avoid smart repairers though, they'll just wreck your car because they are just twats who have no idea how to do the job properly.

Not sure where you are but i'm NW Leicester if you're close. I've got a fully equipped shop and i've even got a spectrophotometer that digitally analyses the paint and tints and matches it. For a door that costs £500 i would normally expect to get the job done for about a grand but will happily fit second hand panels if the customer supplies them.

lol. sorry chizh, posted at the same time and wasn't having a go at your post. Smart repairers and dicks though. The actual remit for smart repairs is that they had supposed to paint nothing bigger than an A4 sheet of paper and nothing above bumper height. Now they turn up on peoples door steps and try to paint half a car. The reason for small repairs on bumpers is because they use crap products and paint. They use paint that dries fast but fades to a satin finish after a couple of months. I spend way too much time either working on cars that have had crap smart repairs or trying to put the crap repairs right. 

If your cars a bit of a scrapper or your selling it and monies tight then a smart repair is better than nothing but a door replacement is a bodyshop job.

np daz. Only offering options.

The skinflint in me would always DIY first. It's shagged anyway so doubt attempting to pull it would make things worse. Personally, I've never used smart repairers but the missus had one done after backing into a skip a few years back (don't ask !) and it was a really good job.

Davey. Post up a pic. 

Thanks for the replys guys and the offer daz but i am down on the south coast . in my own mind i was thinking about a grand  it was just the guy that done the quote seemed to be talking a load crap telling me the door is out of alinement bla bla bla 

just had a guy from dent devils (no paint dent removal )  he can remove the damage but will need some paint work done  his quote is £250  but then I need to find a good paint shop

not sure what to do 

BTW its a Kia Rio  2016

You should take it to a small bodyshop that employs panel beaters rather than one that just employs panel fitters. If the PDR guy thinks he can get it close then a bodyshop should be able to repair it. I tend to go for repairs over replacement but not many do nowadays. Check yell.com and look for someone local with good reviews and a facebook page so you can see the kind of stuff they do. I'm on both and am 5 star on them too, a lot of crap businesses won't put themselves on facebook and yell because they get or have had bad reviews.

I wouldn't let the pdr guy do it, the bodyshop won't want to touch it if someone else has messed with it. If your door out of alignment you should check to see if the gaps between other panels are level and the same distance apart from top to bottom. If the door fits well it can't be out of alignent. 

Send me some pics of the door if you like.